Useful links

Housing Advice Contacts:

If you are currently facing difficulties in your home and would like housing advice in Newcastle, please get in touch with one of the following:

Newcastle Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
Telephone: 0191 286 8862     
Advice Line: 0844 245 1288
Newcastle Citizens Advice Bureau helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. Locations and opening times can be found here.

Newcastle City Council
Telephone: 0191 278 7878 and ask to be put through to your local Housing Office or visit their website at
Newcastle City Council also provides a list of useful contacts relating to welfare rights and money advice on their website.

Newcastle Law Centre ~
Telephone: 0191 261 7016
Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm
51 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 1SG

Shelter North East Housing Aid Centre
Telephone: 0844 515 1601
Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 10am to 1pm.
1-2 Blackfriars Court, Dispensary Lane, Newcastle NE1 4XB.
Shelter North East now has a specialist housing solicitor working alongside the existing caseworkers. For more information, click here.

Your Homes Newcastle
Telephone: 0191 278 8600
YHN House, Benton Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE7 7LZ.

Newcastle-based organisations:

Housing Advice Centre
Telephone: 0191 277 1711
112-114 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6SQ 

Information NOW – Newcastle’s Older People’s Website Would you like to know more about the services that are available to you in your local area and throughout Newcastle? Do you need information about the issues that affect you and other local older people? If so, Information NOW will try and help you.

Centre West (previously New Deal for Communities)
A regeneration project based in the West End of Newcastle

Newcastle CVS
Telephone: 0191 232 7445
Newcastle Council for Voluntary Service MEA House, Ellison Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8XS

National Campaigning organisation:

Defend Council Housing
Telephone: 0207 987 9989
PO Box 33519, London E8 4XW

International organisation:

International Union of Tenants - IUT is a Non Governmental Organisation, founded in 1926 in Zürich, Switzerland, with the purpose of safeguarding the interests of tenants. IUT is a non-party political organisation, working along democratic lines.

Links to relevant government sources for national housing information:

Audit Commission – the commission carry out regular inspections of council services including housing.

Department for Communities and Local Government is a central government department responsible for policy on housing, planning, local and national government.

The Homes and Communities Agency is the national housing and regeneration delivery agency for England.

National organisations:

Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) The CRE was set up in 1976 to tackle racial discrimination and promote racial equality.

TPAS (Tenant Participation Advisory Service) A national organisation that provides information and advice to tenants and landlords.

Useful Housing publications:

Inside Housing is a weekly magazine keeping you up to date with housing nationally

ROOF is a bi-monthly magazine covering all aspects of housing policy